July 10, 2011

Music

Hello Friends!  How are you all?  Did you have a wonderful weekend?  
I worked Friday and Saturday, but today I got to spend time with one of my best friends and the four kittens that she rescued and is trying to find a home for.

Last night at work was the first night I closed the restaurant since I started this job.  And, sparing too many details, I loved it.  I spent the night dancing along to music with co-workers I love, and still managing to work.  Even at 3am when Amber picked me up and we headed to the local Giant for some midnight snacks, I was still dancing to Hey There Delilah, because in my head I was hearing Tao Cruz.  
And all day today, I've been listening to my iTunes, and downloading new music.  

Music fuels me, and that's not to say that I am a musical person in even the slightest sense.  I'm not.  I'm completely tone-deaf, despite three years of piano lessons.  In grade school, I ended up joining the Hand-Bells Club because it meant that all I had to do was hi-light my notes and remember when to shake my particular bells.  The "instrument" really didn't require any sort of skill on my part.  

But I love music, and I suppose that really goes without saying because frankly, who doesn't "love" music?  Music is an enormous part of our culture that could not possibly be removed.  It's not even just our culture, more like human-kind on a very basic level.  People have been creating music for as long as our existence has been recorded, and I'm sure for longer than that.

It is honestly one of the few things that ties all of us together, that we all have in common.  When you meet somebody new, one of the first questions they ask you is "what kind of music do you like?".  I've even seen the question pop up on job applications.  It has almost become like a judge of character, or personality.  The music that we listen to speaks as to what type of person we are.  The idea of a person who doesn't "love" music is almost inconceivable, to the point where it has been used as a point of interest in the movie Superdad   as a descriptive factor in a character's psychosis.


We have websites, such as Pandora that are entirely dedicated to the spreading of music.  Concerts attract millions of people, and raise even more money just from the sale of tickets.  Most of the posters we hang in our rooms are of bands we love, and the iPod was one of the most lucrative electronics ever invented.  There are newspaper columns and even entire magazines dedicated to the discussion of popular artists.  We listen to it while we drive, and there have been movies where there are no words - only music, but never visa versa.  When we're angry, we listen to our favorite song ridiculously loud, and when we get together to have a party, people feel uncomfortable without music playing.  The type of music that people listen to can go on to define a generation, and Michael Jackson is likely more celebrated than Ronald Reagan.  
We all love music, to the point where it is an ingrained part of who we are and of what defines us.

So here's my question for you guys.  What music do you love?  The other day, Tara guest-posted about Maroon 5, a band that the two of us love.  I'm sure you all have a favorite band, a song that is special to you. So tell me about it!  
Music is one of the first things we learn about a person, and I want to know about you guys.  So tell me, what shows up on your Most Played list on iTunes?

<3 Kiersten

6 comments:

  1. Bands that have multiple most played songs on my iTunes:
    Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Goo Goo Dolls, Three Days Grace, Matchbox Twenty, Live, Elton John, Panic! at the Disco, Avenged Sevenfold, 3 Doors Down, Versus the World, Breaking Benjamin, Crash Test Dummies, Seether, Smashing Pumpkins, Rise Against, Cat Stevens, & Collective soul.

    That list ended up being much longer than I had anticipated before I started writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha Thanks Jeff! I'm not sure who a couple of those are, but for the most part they're all bands I like too! Thanks for reading though :)
    <3 Kiersten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man in the Mirror by Michael jackson is a really special song to me :) (actually all his music!)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know Adele? She's one of my more recent favorites. And one of my longtime favorites is Dispatch. And yay for Maroon 5 - I really like them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tara - Michael is amazing! My favorite song of his would have to be The Way You Make Me Feel, but Man in the Mirror is a beautiful song as well!
    Emily - yes! I absolutely LOVE Adele. Dispatch I've never heard of, but I'll have to go look them up now! Thanks :)
    <3 Kiersten

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you like their general sound, you should check out their CD "Bang, Bang" - it's the one I've been listening to since my first year of college (2001). (wow that was a long time ago!) =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! It means so much to me, and I really do love reading all your messages! <3