March 16, 2011

The Future Freaks Me Out

(Disclaimer:  This is a long post, sans photos.  I'd love if you'd read it and such, but I understand if nobody ever does)
I had a minor breakdown today in my 10am class.
And by breakdown I mean mid-life crisis, except more like mid-college crisis.  (I think this is a topic which needs to be further researched.  I can't be the only scared college student, right?)
This can be a really long story if I let it, so I'll give you the quick version.:  
Two weeks ago I pretty much "declared" my major as Marketing, with a minor in Communications Studies.  I was honestly not ready for this, and only did it because everyone around me was pressuring me to do so.  ("You need to decide this now, Kiersten.  Otherwise, you'll never be able to graduate in time, and you'll end up alone, penniless, in a home you hate with nobody but a cat to keep you company."  "But I don't know what I want to do..."  "That doesn't matter.  Decide anyway")  
Today I realized that this is concrete, and that I had no idea what I planned on doing with Marketing.  I never even thought about it, I just declared. (very strange for me, a person who usually needs everything figured out to proceed with a decision)
Today I thought about it, and realized I like the idea of Photography, Journalism, Event Planning, Realty, and owning my own store.  (mostly event planning and realty) I didn't even know what Realty or Event Planning entailed as far as education.  
Well, I let myself freak out for a while.  Then I ChaCha'd, "what do you major in to be an Event Planner".  And guess what, readers?  You can major in a lot of things, one of the main things being Marketing.  (Que singing angels - "Hallelujia, hallelujia!")
So I'm freaking out less now, and have decided to do my career-project for writing class on Event Planning.  I think it will give me a more concrete idea of what the career entails.
(If you've made it to the end, thank you so much!  I know this was probably boring, but I needed to get it out, plus I'd love to hear from any of you who may have been through the same thing, or who know a thing or two about Event Planning)
<3 Kiersten

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! It means so much to me, and I really do love reading all your messages! <3